SOC 100 Week 1 DQ 1
SOC 100 Week 1 DQ 1
Schaefer (2011) defines a post-modern society as “a technologically sophisticated society that is preoccupied with consumer goods and media images” (p. 126). In your opinion, is the United States a post-modern society? Why or why not? Are you preoccupied with consumer goods and media images? Why or why not?
ORDER NOW FOR ORIGINAL, PLAGIARISM-FREE PAPERS
Resource: NBC videos link, located on the student website
Watch the following videos:
· Three Cups of Tea
· Northern Exposure
· Religion Unplugged
· School Girl Attacks
· The Joy of Garbage
· Young Evangelicals
Discuss the videos as a team.
Select one video clip to analyze as a team.
Evaluate your selected video from the sociological perspective assigned to your Learning Team.
· Team A: Functionalist perspective
· Conflict perspective
· Feminist perspective
Write a 500- to 750-word essay explaining the content of the video based on your assigned sociological theoretical approach.
· Prepare a brief introduction that identifies the video and clarifies the applied theoretical perspective.
· Describe specific components of the perspective used in the evaluation.
· Explain specific examples from the video from the viewpoint of the designated theoretical approach.
Format your essay consistent with APA guidelines.
Complete the following, individually:
· Enter at least one online social networking website of your choice.
· Explore and participate in the site.
Write a 1,050- to 1,400-word analysis paper, as a team, and address the following components:
· Identify the accessed online social network sites.
· Describe the sites’ purposes, content, and participant populations.
· Describe each individual’s experience in the chosen site.
· Address the following questions:
o What is the cultural significance of online social networks?
o What is the social effect of online social networks?
o What potential effect do online social networking sites have on face-to-face interaction?
o What cultural values are reinforced or challenged by online social networking sites?
o What are possible future online social networking trends?
Provide a conclusion that includes the following:
· An assessment of the current, primary traditional agent of socialization in our society
· A prediction on whether or not social networking sites will become the primary 21st century agent of socialization in our society