PSY 304 Gender and Sexuality Recent
PSY 304 Gender and Sexuality Recent
Before completing this discussion, be sure to review Chapter 10 in your text and the Factors that Influence Sexual Orientation and Gender Socialization, videos. After examining the research in human development presented in your required resources, complete the following discussion:
Ideas and perceptions of gender and sexuality are strongly dependent on cultural factors and influences. Define gender and sexuality. What is the difference between the two? Describe the influences of culture on these aspects of human development.
In addition, examine how stereotypes and other cultural factors influence our perception of acceptable expressions of gender and sexuality. Give examples illustrating how a particular expression of gender or sexuality may be acceptable in one culture and unacceptable in another. Predict how the expression or repression of a person’s gender and/or sexuality may influence the person’s interpersonal development.
Your initial post must be at least 300 words and use a minimum of one scholarly source located in the Ashford University Library or on Google Scholar that is cited and referenced according to APA style, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
Guided Response: Review several of your classmates’ posts. Provide a substantive response to at least two of your peers in a minimum of 200 words. Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the content of each post. Be sure that you cite scientific evidence to support your views.
• What do twin and adoption studies tell us about the effects of nature (i.e., genetic influences) and nurture (i.e., environmental influences) on human development? Select at least one of the main domains of human development (i.e., physical, cognitive, or social-emotional).
• How much credit or blame do parents deserve for the way we are? Select at least one of the main domains of human development (physical, cognitive, or social-emotional) for your answer.
• To what extent are the lives of adolescents and young adults shaped by parental and peer influences?
• Why do we have a need to belong (to affiliate with others)?
• How do our bodies and minds change from early to late adulthood?
• What are the factors that affect our well-being as middle aged and older adults?
• Why are some people attracted to members of their own sex whereas others are attracted to members of
the opposite sex?
• How do memory and intelligence change as we age?
• Does an infant’s temperament shape his/her cognitive and socio-emotional development?
• Are babies pre-wired for survival?
• Are adolescents more likely to engage in risk-taking behavior than older adults?
• Can physical exercise affect cognitive performance in old age? Consider the time of occurrence of
physical exercise (i.e., earlier in life or during old age) in your answer.
• Are there personality traits related to longevity?
• Does bilingualism improve brain functioning?
• Why do students in the United States tend to under-perform in math and science?
Once you have chosen your topic, examine the various theories of human development learned in the course and choose one or two that best assist you to understand the issues involved in your topic.
For this outline, provide a two- to three- sentence description of each of the following:
• Examine various theories of human development, describing relevant terminology, and addressing how the theory assists in the understanding of issues involved in the selected topic.
• Identify and describe at least two domains of human development (physical, biological, emotional, cognitive, and/or social) and how they are impacted by the chosen topic.
• Identify and describe the stages of development that are affected by the chosen topic.
• Describe the cultural and historical perspectives of the chosen topic, demonstrating an understanding of
how the topic has been perceived over time and by other cultures. Provide relevant examples.
Writing the Outline for the Final Paper
1. Must be two to three double-spaced pages in length (excluding title and reference pages), and formatted
according to the APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
2. Must include a title page with the following:
a. Title of paper
2. Student’s name
3. Course name and number
4. Instructor’s name
5. Date submitted
3. Must begin with an introductory paragraph that has a succinct thesis statement.
1. Begin with an introduction to the selected topic in which you define all concepts that will be
discussed in the paper.
2. For example, if you select “How do memory and intelligence change as we age?” as your topic,
then you will need to define the terms memory, intelligence and aging.
4. Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought.
5. Must end with a conclusion that reaffirms your thesis.
1. Conclude with an answer to the selected question. Did the evidence you surveyed answer the question satisfactorily? Include your analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of the available evidence.
2. If possible, suggest the course that future research should take if answers to the selected question are less than conclusive.
6. Must use at least five scholarly sources, all of which must come from the Ashford University Library or Google Scholar.
1. It is important that you ask yourself if the articles specifically address the selected topic. It is not always easy to find the right articles. Thus, give yourself some time to search before you finalize your selection.
2. You may reference your textbook and other required materials from the course; however, these will not fulfill the resource requirement.
7. Must briefly summarize each article including the purpose of the investigation, its methodology, and results.
1. If possible, select peer-reviewed articles that summarize the evidence available in a given field of study (e.g., meta-analyses combine the findings of different studies to uncover trends, commonalities and differences).
2. Order the articles in the way you think you will discuss them in your paper. Then develop a summary of the scientific evidence that answers the question you selected.
8. Must document all sources in APA style, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
9. Must include a separate reference page, formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
a. The reference section will be the final page of the paper. PSY 304 Gender and Sexuality Recent