NURS 6501N Week 11: Concepts of Pediatrics
NURS 6501N Week 11: Concepts of Pediatrics
Scenario 1: A 32-year-old female presents to the ED with a chief complaint of fever, chills, nausea, vomiting, and vaginal discharge. She states these symptoms started about 3 days ago, but she thought she had the flu. She has begun to have LLQ pain and notes bilateral lower back pain. She denies dysuria, foul-smelling urine, or frequency. States she is married and has sexual intercourse with her husband. PMH negative. NURS 6501N Week 11: Concepts of Pediatrics
Labs: CBC-WBC 18, Hgb 16, Hct 44, Plat 325, Neuts & Lymphs, sed rate 46 mm/hr, C-reactive protein 67 mg/L CMP wnl
Vital signs T 103.2 F Pulse 120 Resp 22 and PaO2
99% on room air. Cardio-respiratory exam WNL with the exception of tachycardia but no murmurs, rubs, clicks, or gallops. Abdominal exam + for LLQ pain on deep palpation but no rebound or rigidity. Pelvic exam demonstrates copious foul-smelling green drainage with reddened cervix and + bilateral adenexal tenderness. + chandelier sign. Wet prep in ER + clue cells and gram stain in ER + gram negative diplococci.
Week 11: Concepts of Pediatrics
Pediatric disorders can present unique challenges to patients, families, and healthcare providers. Disorders in these areas are complicated by the fact that young patients can have difficulties communicating symptoms. Furthermore, the manner in which disease and disorders manifest in children may be unique. NURS 6501N Week 11: Concepts of Pediatrics
APRNs working to support these patients and their loved ones must demonstrate not only support and compassion, but expertise to communicate and guide understanding of diagnoses and treatment plans. This includes an understanding of disease and disorders at the pediatric level. NURS 6501N Week 11: Concepts of Pediatrics
This week, you examine pathophysiology in pediatrics. You apply key terms, concepts, and principles in this area to demonstrate an understanding of the impact they have on altered physiology in children.
- Analyze concepts and principles of pathophysiology across the lifespan
- NURS 6501N Week 11: Concepts of Pediatrics
Learning Resources – NURS 6501N Week 11: Concepts of Pediatrics
Knowledge Check: Pediatrics
In this exercise, you will complete a 10-20 question Knowledge Check to gauge your understanding of this module’s content. This Knowledge Check will give you an opportunity to review a given scenario or situation to help you determine cause and effect of a given disorder from a pathophysiology perspective. Please note that this is a very formative type of practice for you to help you better prepare for your Final Exam. NURS 6501N Week 11: Concepts of Pediatrics
Possible topics covered in this Knowledge Check include:
Photo Credit: laflor / E+ / Getty Images
- Growth and development
- Normal growth patterns
- Scoliosis (ortho)
- Alterations in children
- Congenital (heart syndrome)
- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
- Lead poisoning and effects on neurological functioning
- Sickle cell
(Note: It is strongly recommended that you take the Knowledge Check at least 48 hours before taking the Final Exam.)
To prepare: NURS 6501N Week 11: Concepts of Pediatrics
- To access your Knowledge Check for this Module, click on the Module Knowledge Checks Student Response link below.
- Complete the questions for each scenario.
Module 8 KC Student Response (Word document)
Note: You may submit your Knowledge Check results file at any time during this week. However, it must be submitted by Day 5 of Week 11.
Submission Information NURS 6501N Week 11: Concepts of Pediatrics
- Please save your Assignment using the naming convention “M8KC+last name+first initial.(extension)” as the name.
- Next, from the Attach File area, click on the Browse My Computer button. Find the document you saved as “M8KC+last name+first initial.(extension)” and click Open. NURS 6501N Week 11: Concepts of Pediatrics
- If applicable: From the Plagiarism Tools area, click the checkbox for I agree to submit my paper(s) to the Global Reference Database.
- Click on the Submit button to complete your submission.
Submit Your Assignment by Day 5 of Week 11
To submit this Knowledge Check: NURS 6501N Week 11: Concepts of Pediatrics
Module 8 Knowledge Check Submission