NUR 408 Assignment Neighborhood News Articles Recent
NUR 408 Assignment Neighborhood News Articles Recent
Access The Neighborhood Web site using the link on the student Web site.
Read the following articles in the “Neighborhood News” for Season 1:
- “Officials confirm pollution worries” (Episode 3)
- “Hotline puts family at ease” (Episode 4)
- “ED sees critical capacities” (Episode 7)
- “Smoking breaks a thing of the past?” (Episode 9)
- “Flu deaths expected to rise” (Episode 11) NUR 408 Assignment Neighborhood News Articles Recent
Select two of these articles and decide whether each article is addressing a public health or community health issue.
Prepare to share the articles you selected and discuss whether they address a public health or community health issue in a class discussion
Post your discussion in “Neighborhood News Article” Thread in the Main Forum. Be sure to comment on one other classmate’s discussion. See Grading Rubrics in Materials for guidelines.
Assignment: Diabetes Case Study
Read about Angelo Reyes or Jenna Riley in The Neighborhood-Pearson Health Science tab (found in the ‘Materials’ section of the online classroom).
Refer to my Disease Case Study grading criteria rubric (I have posted this in the Course Materials forum). All criteria on this rubric must be satisfactorily met to receive full credit for this assignment. NUR 408 Assignment Neighborhood News Articles Recent
Write a 700 to 1,050-word paper focusing on the case study of either Angelo Reyes or Jenna Riley in The Neighborhood. Your paper must include the following:
An overview of the incidence of diabetes in the United States
The typical presenting signs and symptoms of diabetes
The potential chronic effects of diabetes on the body
The teaching requirements for Angelo or Jenna with two measurable learning objectives from each of the domains
The psychosocial challenges that Angelo Reyes or Jenna Riley may encounter
At least five references-only one of these references can be a website. I expect the other references to be from your course material readings (Larsen, Redman, and/or Sommers) or from scholarly journals. NUR 408 Assignment Neighborhood News Articles Recent
Format your paper consistent with APA guidelines.
Diabetes Case Study
“My left foot feels weak and numb. I have a hard time pointing my toes up.”
History of Present Illness
D.T. is 42-year-old Caucasian woman who has had an elevated blood sugar and cholesterol 2 years ago but did not follow up with a clinical diagnostic work-up. She had participated in the state’s annual health screening program and noticed her fasting blood sugar was 160 and her cholesterol was 250. However, she felt “perfectly fine at the time” and did not want to take any more medications. Except for a number of “female infections,” she has felt fine recently.NUR 408 Assignment Neighborhood News Articles Recent
Today, she presents to the clinic complaining that her left foot has been weak and numb for nearly 3 weeks and that the foot is difficult to flex. She denies any other weakness or numbness at this time. She does report that she has been very thirsty lately and gets up more often at night to urinate. She has attributed these symptoms to the extremely warm weather and drinking more water to keep hydrated. She has gained a total of 50 pounds since her last pregnancy 10 years ago, 20 pounds in the last 6 months alone. NUR 408 Assignment Neighborhood News Articles Recent
Past Medical History
- Seasonal allergic rhinitis (since her early 20s)
- Breast biopsy positive for fibroadenoma at age 30
- Gestational diabetes with second child 10 years ago
- Multiple yeast infections during the past 3 years that she has self-treated with OTC antifungal creams and salt bath
- Hypertension for 10 years
Past Surgical History
C-section 14 years ago
- Menarche at age 11
- Last pap smear 3 years ago
- Type 2 DM present in older brother and maternal grandfather. Both were diagnosed in their late 40s. Brother takes both pills and shots.
- Mother alive and well
- Father has COPD
- Two other siblings alive and well
- All three children are alive and well
- Married 29 years with 3 children; husband is a school teacher
- Family lives in a four bedroom single family home
- Patient works as a seamstress
- Smokes 1 pack per day (since age 16) and drinks two alcoholic drinks 4 days per week
- Denies illegal drug uses NUR 408 Assignment Neighborhood News Articles Recent
- Never exercises and has tried multiple fad diets for weight loss with little success. She now eats a diet rich in fats and refined sugars.
- Lisinopril 10 mg daily
- Loratadine 10 mg daily
Review of Systems
Admits to recent onset of fatigue
Has awakened on several occasions with blurred vision and dizziness or lightheadedness upon standing: Denies vertigo, head trauma, ear pain, difficulty swallowing or speaking
Denies chest pain, palpitations, and difficulty breathing while lying down
Denies cough, shortness of breath, and wheezing NUR 408 Assignment Neighborhood News Articles Recent
Denies nausea, vomiting, abdominal bloating or pain, diarrhea, or food intolerance, but admits occasional episodes of constipation
Has experienced increased frequency and volumes of urination, but denies pain during urination, blood in the urine, or urinary incontinence
Denies leg cramps or swelling in the ankles and feet; has never experienced weakness, tingling or numbness in arms or legs prior to this episode NUR 408 Assignment Neighborhood News Articles Recent
Has never had a seizure and denies recent headaches
Has a rash under her bilateral breast and in groin area
Denies a history of goiter and has not experienced heat or cold intolerance
BP 165/100, T 98 F, P 88 regular, HT 5 feet 4 inches, RR 20 non labored, WT 210 lbs
What you need to do:
- Develop an evidence-based management plan.
- Include any pertinent diagnostics.
- Describe the patient education plan.
- Include cultural and lifespan considerations.
- Provide information on health promotion or health care maintenance needs.
- Describe the follow-up and referral for this patient.
- Prepare a 3–5-page paper (not including the title page or reference page). NUR 408 Assignment Neighborhood News Articles Recent
The paper should be no more than 3–5 pages (not including the title page and reference pages.
Before finalizing your work, you should:
- be sure to read the Assignment description carefully (as displayed above);
- consult the Grading Rubric (under the Course Resources) to make sure you have included everything necessary; and
- utilize spelling and grammar check to minimize errors. NUR 408 Assignment Neighborhood News Articles Recent
Your writing Assignment should:
- follow the conventions of Standard American English (correct grammar, punctuation, etc.);
- be well ordered, logical, and unified, as well as original and insightful;
- display superior content, organization, style, and mechanics; and
- use APA 6th Edition format as outlined in the APA Progression Ladder.