Identifying Research Methodologies Paper
Identifying Research Methodologies Paper
Is there a difference between “common practice” and “best practice”?
When you first went to work for your current organization, experienced colleagues may have shared with you details about processes and procedures. Perhaps you even attended an orientation session to brief you on these matters. As a “rookie,” you likely kept the nature of your questions to those with answers that would best help you perform your new role. Identifying Research Methodologies Paper
Over time and with experience, perhaps you recognized aspects of these processes and procedures that you wanted to question further. This is the realm of clinical inquiry.
Clinical inquiry is the practice of asking questions about clinical practice. To continuously improve patient care, all nurses should consistently use clinical inquiry to question why they are doing something the way they are doing it. Do they know why it is done this way, or is it just because we have always done it this way? Is it a common practice or a best practice? Identifying Research Methodologies Paper
In this Assignment, you will identify clinical areas of interest and inquiry and practice searching for research in support of maintaining or changing these practices. You will also analyze this research to compare research methodologies employed. Identifying Research Methodologies Paper
Submit Part 1 and Part 2 of your Evidence-Based Project.
Note: Part 1 is a 4-5 slide PowerPoint and Part 2 is the Matrix. Be sure to attach both of your documents (Part 1 and Part 2) before you click Submit.
- Review the Resources and identify a clinical issue of interest that can form the basis of a clinical inquiry.
- Based on the clinical issue of interest and using keywords related to the clinical issue of interest, search at least four different databases in the Walden Library to identify at least four relevant peer-reviewed articles related to your clinical issue of interest. You should not be using systematic reviews for this assignment, select original research articles.
- Review the results of your peer-reviewed research and reflect on the process of using an unfiltered database to search for peer-reviewed research. Identifying Research Methodologies Paper
- Reflect on the types of research methodologies contained in the four relevant peer-reviewed articles you selected.
Part 1: An Introduction to Clinical Inquiry
Create a 4- to 5-slide PowerPoint presentation in which you do the following:
- Identify and briefly describe your chosen clinical issue of interest. This clinical issue will remain the same for the entire course and will be the basis for the development of your PICOT question
- Describe how you used keywords to search on your chosen clinical issue of interest.
- Identify the four research databases that you used to conduct your search for the peer-reviewed articles you selected.
- Provide APA citations of the four peer-reviewed articles you selected. Identifying Research Methodologies Paper
Part 2: Identifying Research Methodologies
After reading each of the four peer-reviewed articles you selected, use the Matrix Worksheet template to analyze the methodologies applied in each of the four peer-reviewed articles. Your analysis should include the following:
- The full citation of each peer-reviewed article in APA format.
- A brief (1-paragraph) statement explaining why you chose this peer-reviewed article and/or how it relates to your clinical issue of interest, including a brief explanation of the ethics of research related to your clinical issue of interest.
- A brief (1-2 paragraph) description of the aims of the research of each peer-reviewed article.
- A brief (1-2 paragraph) description of the research methodology used. Be sure to identify if the methodology used was qualitative, quantitative, or a mixed-methods approach. Be specific. Identifying Research Methodologies Paper
- A brief (1- to 2-paragraph) description of the strengths of each of the research methodologies used, including reliability and validity of how the methodology was applied in each of the peer-reviewed articles you selected. Identifying Research Methodologies Paper
Melnyk, B. M., & Fineout-Overholt, E. (2018). Evidence-based practice in nursing & healthcare: A guide to best practice (4th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer.
- Chapter 2, “Asking Compelling Clinical Questions” (pp. 33–54)
- Chapter 21, “Generating Evidence Through Quantitative and Qualitative Research” (pp. 607–653)
Grant, M. J., & Booth, A. (2009). A typology of reviews: An analysis of 14 review types and associated methodologies. Health Information and Libraries Journal, 26, 91–108. doi:10.1111/j.1471-1842.2009.00848.x
Hoare, Z., & Hoe, J. (2013). Understanding quantitative research: Part 2. Nursing Standard, 27(18), 48–55. doi:10.7748/ns2013.01.27.18.48.c9488 Identifying Research Methodologies Paper
Hoe, J., & Hoare, Z. (2012). Understanding quantitative research: Part 1. Nursing Standard, 27(15), 52–57. doi:10.7748/ns2012.12.27.15.52.c9485
https://academicguides.waldenu.edu/library/evaluating/sources This one is for evaluating primary and secondary resources
https://academicguides.waldenu.edu/library/keyword/boolean This one is about using “Boolean” terms
https://academicanswers.waldenu.edu/faq/73299 This one is for filtered and unfiltered resources
PART 1: AN INTRODUCTION TO CLINICAL INQUIRY
CREATE A 4- TO 5-SLIDE POWERPOINT PRESENTATION IN WHICH YOU DO THE FOLLOWING:
· IDENTIFY AND BRIEFLY DESCRIBE YOUR CHOSEN CLINICAL ISSUE OF INTEREST.
· DESCRIBE HOW YOU USED KEYWORDS TO SEARCH ON YOUR CHOSEN CLINICAL ISSUE OF INTEREST.
· IDENTIFY THE FOUR RESEARCH DATABASES THAT YOU USED TO CONDUCT YOUR SEARCH FOR THE PEER-REVIEWED ARTICLES YOU SELECTED.
· PROVIDE APA CITATIONS OF THE FOUR-PEER REVIEWED ARTICLES YOU SELECTED.—
PART 2: IDENTIFYING RESEARCH METHODOLOGIES
AFTER READING EACH OF THE FOUR PEER-REVIEWED ARTICLES YOU SELECTED, USE THE MATRIX WORKSHEET TEMPLATE TO ANALYZE THE METHODOLOGIES APPLIED IN EACH OF THE FOUR PEER-REVIEWED ARTICLES. YOUR ANALYSIS SHOULD INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
· THE FULL CITATION OF EACH PEER-REVIEWED ARTICLE IN APA FORMAT.
· A BRIEF STATEMENT EXPLAINING WHY YOU CHOSE THIS PEER-REVIEWED ARTICLE AND/OR HOW IT RELATES TO YOUR CLINICAL ISSUE OF INTEREST, INCLUDING A BRIEF EXPLANATION OF THE ETHICS OF RESEARCH RELATED TO YOUR CLINICAL ISSUE OF INTEREST. Identifying Research Methodologies Paper
· A BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE AIMS OF THE RESEARCH OF EACH PEER-REVIEWED ARTICLE.
· A BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE RESEARCH METHODOLOGY USED. BE SURE TO IDENTIFY IF THE METHODOLOGY USED WAS QUALITATIVE, QUANTITATIVE, OR A MIXED-METHODS APPROACH. BE SPECIFIC.—
WRITTEN EXPRESSION AND FORMATTING—PARAGRAPH DEVELOPMENT AND ORGANIZATION:
PARAGRAPHS MAKE CLEAR POINTS THAT SUPPORT WELL-DEVELOPED IDEAS, FLOW LOGICALLY, AND DEMONSTRATE CONTINUITY OF IDEAS. SENTENCES ARE CAREFULLY FOCUSED—NEITHER LONG AND RAMBLING NOR SHORT AND LACKING SUBSTANCE. A CLEAR AND COMPREHENSIVE PURPOSE STATEMENT AND INTRODUCTION IS PROVIDED, WHICH DELINEATES ALL REQUIRED CRITERIA.—
WRITTEN EXPRESSION AND FORMATTING—ENGLISH WRITING STANDARDS:
CORRECT GRAMMAR, MECHANICS, AND PROPER PUNCTUATION.—
Contains many (five or more) grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors that interfere with the reader’s understanding. Identifying Research Methodologies Paper